Tuesday, September 18, 2012

21 Inner Beauty Inspirations #3

3. Ask for feedback from others and be humble and open to learning from it.

Today I invited all of my team of managers to give me feedback on my performance.  Usually performance appraisals are done by someone above you, but in my case... as the CEO there is only be Board of Trustees...and they would know almost nothing about my daily work.  So I have set  a time for all of my executive management team to get together and give me feedback.  And I am really looking forward to it!
At the same time we have been doing a staff engagement survey, and some are very positive, and some responses are honest and direct and critical.  And I really appreciate it.  I really do want to know what people are thinking and feeling and what they think should be done better.  Its so inspiring to have the opportunity to learn and grow in this way.
Some people shy away from criticism... they stand strong against it, holding tight to their positive self image in and avoiding any evidence that is contrary to that image.  And paradoxically they think that will help them to be happier - whereas I find that when I am open, undefensive, humble, and eager to learn - then receiving feedback is a wonderful gift.

And it helps others to feel valued and important as well.
So in today's journey of inner beauty inspiration I celebrate humbleness and willingness to take it on the chin and learn, grow and improve.

No comments: