Sunday, August 9, 2009

learning to dance


Listening to ye ol Bette while cooking lamb roast... I heard these words and they struck a cord in my heart...

Its the heart afraid of breaking
that never learns to dance

Its the dream afraid of waking

that never takes a chance

Its the one who won't be taken

who never learns to give
Its the soul afraid of dying

that never learns to live


I have stood on cliffs before... I have looked out at the sunrise of possibility over a deep dark unknown waters... I have taken a deep breath and jumped off the cliffs... I have also, at other times, turned my back on the majesty of it all and walked back to the safe and the known...

I have danced for strangers and I have been a wallflower. I have chosen to wake at dawn, and I have slept til afternoon. I have gambled and I have saved. I have taken and I have given.

Sometimes life is terribly simple and yet utterly complicated at the same time.

No comments: