Saturday, December 8, 2007

From shore to shining shore...


What a difference a wave makes... its such a dramatically different mood on an Australian beach compared to the shores of my tropical sojourn. The beach at my parents place is wild, wind swept... it makes you feel small and fragile against a back drop of the enormity of nature. After the gentle lap of Fiji's warm soft waters, brimming with tame fish that sparkle as they feed from your fingers, the contrast coming to the cliffs of Moffat Beach made it hard to reconcile that I stood by the same pacific waters. These water molecules that tossed themselves ruthlessly and relentlessly against the rocks til the seeming solidity gave way in acquiescence to a greater power, these were the very same drops that nurtured me as I paddled and pottered in the arm chair peace and clarity of my island retreats. Its a confusing sense of interconnectedness and contrasting juxtaposition of sensation at the same time.
In the soft still waters of Fiji it was easy to feel big, I felt welcomed and swam secure in my place in the prettiness that seemed there for my pleasure... Whereas returning to home shores reminds me again ... I'm a small puny bit of flotsam, irrelevant and transient in the greater play of nature.

No comments: