Saturday, December 8, 2007

Its "Art" Beryl...


I was happily in time for the Bondi to Bronte sculpture walk in Sydney just after I arrived.... Always a fabulous experience to combine a natural world that is art in its purest sense, I think, with the odd creations of people. Some were quirky, some were strange, some worked with the land and some...well... points for trying :-)
The one that interested me most was a set of three photos printed on glass panels... each was a photo of the exact coastline view behind the panel. It was such a deliciously obvious yet wonderfully novel comment, and I could relate strongly to the experience. I know that I often invest much more of my energy into an image of an experience than I do to directly experiencing the moment. I see something and somehow I cannot fully experience it unless I capture its image... and I look more closely at my photos of a thing than I do at the thing itself. The created image is like an intermediary that makes the enormity of real experience digestible, gives it to me in a packaged, capsuled form that is easier to swallow...easier for my mind to accept... it is framed, held, reduced, made into something that I control, store, shelve rather than something intangible that flows over and through me. We see so much of the world through a lens, its also familiarly comfortable... we sit and watch the world on TV, DVD, in a boxed format... Somehow reality is just too big and uncontrollable... we can't edit it or switch it off.... Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the photos though :-)

Peas on Earth... he he

No comments: