Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The world knows very little about its heroes. The courageous acts that take the most out of you are usually the ones that other people will never know about.
Anne Tyler

I have a journal and recently I have let it slip a bit - I guess I have some good reasons - but it is still important to me. In my journal I write, each night, the things I am grateful for in the day, and my acts of kindness for the day. Its a wonderful opportunity to not only appreciate how wonderfully fortunate I am, but also to nurture and appreciate my own kindness and generosity. Sometimes I have to scratch my head to find some examples of ways that I have been kind...and then I am extra motivated the next day...but mostly I can think of at least a few things each day that I have done from my heart for others... it might be a simple text to let someone know I am thinking of them, it might be surprising someone with a treat, it might be doing a favour for someone - even a tiny one.
And so - as today's inspirational "because of you" quote says - often my kindness will not be particularly noticed by others - but by noticing it myself I encourage it to grow and blossom in the warmth of the feelings it brings.

No comments: