Friday, September 25, 2009

first day in childcare....


So today my baby and I shared another milestone.  Today was my angel's first day at childcare.  Today I left my baby with strangers.  Today I walked away, drove away... Today I trusted. 
Today I experienced, not for the first time, the irrational hormonal evolutionary emotional reactions that come with being a mother.  Today I walked away from the child care centre rationally believing that it would all be fine and that I was doing the right thing for everyone... but feeling, as countless other mothers have, that I am a bad mother, that I am abandoning my fragile little baby, that I am derelict in my duties as a mother...imagining her left alone, defenceless, calling for her mother in vain....Today I knew that I was being irrational and I stood back and watched the emotions unfold... wash over me.  Today I remembered to keep breathing.
Today my angel grew up that little bit more... Today was another first, and another end.
(PS She was, of course, happy and fine.... and I am recovering... as is my credit card after I used the time to buy pretty things for her!)

No comments: