Sunday, September 6, 2009

I am planting fruit trees...

So I am planting fruit trees.

I have achieved my goal of having a flourishing veggie garden from which I eat happily, tasting the sweetness of knowing that the food was grown by my hands. I have achieved my goal of flourishing pots of aromatic herbs and flowers, with clusters of lush growth lining my front balcony. And yet these are temporary, removable. They grow, are enjoyed, and end.

So I plant fruit trees.

Planting fruit trees says to myself and the world that I will be here, several years from now, to reap the fruits of today's efforts... I plant fruit trees knowing that they mean so much more than citrus to me. Fruit trees say that I have put down roots. Fruit trees say that I am planning for the day when my daughter will learn where food comes from by picking her own. Fruit trees say that I have a future - one which I can see and feel and imagine. Fruit trees say that I have a home.

So little today, and yet such a rich crop of meanings and hopes.

No comments: