Monday, April 28, 2008

Love

Today I feel inspired by a woman I know... she is not Mother Teresa...she is a normal everyday person, living her own little normal everyday life... but she inspires me by living as Mother Teresa believed...

In this life we cannot do great things...we can only do small things with great love...

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love
without getting tired...

It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing... It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving...

Mother Teresa
So today I am moved....
It is often easy, too easy, to miss things and people of great beauty in our midst. We flow along with life, caught up in ourselves and the things most obvious before us... and we miss quiet ordinary moments of extraordinary beauty... we will never know how many of these people and things pass us by in our mind's limited capacity to take in all of the information available to it...

But today I feel fortunate because I didn't miss one person.... I noticed... and I am moved...

She doesn't do great huge things all the time... but every day she does things with love.
She loves generously and quietly... sometimes I might not notice, so conditioned am I to looking for grand words and gestures... while she is simply doing small things that she can do... and doing them from her heart.
She practices random acts of kindness.
No matter what is going on in her own life she strives to be the best she can for others who think they need her.
She has inspired me.

Too often in my reckoning of my life I find myself caught up in striving for grand gestures... I frankly want to save the world... This woman reminds me that being the best person I can be in everyday life is grand...

Too often I absorb myself in philosophising and analysing... moaning about the great ills of the world... and thus I miss chances to be kind in the moment I am in, in the place I am in...
She reminds me that I can do what I can do... no more or less than that....

She is a good person... a very good person... simply, lovingly, honestly....

And I appreciate her, which is something for which I feel very proud. If I do nothing else today, appreciating this woman is something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoever it is would feel so privaledged to be spoken of in such a way. Good Karma my friend. I would be just blown away to have someone say something like that about me - I was moved to tears reading it! What a lovely gift and reminder of who I'd like to be! Something to aspire to! x

Zo