Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Whats in a name?


I grew up with a name I didn't like...
I didn't really notice when I was young of course... but as I got older I started to cringe when introducing myself... I waited for the inevitable looks of puzzlement, and the same stupid questions... over and over...
I cringed in doctors offices or anywhere that called you by name... they always mispronounced my name... I used to feel people staring at me wondering about my unusual name
I started to try out different names... trying them on for size... trying to find something that felt like me...
When I found Rhianon I was thrilled - it just fitted...

Choosing a name for another person is a huge responsibility. A name is both merely a label, and an essential aspect of a person's identity... its nothing and everything...

So I have been thinking about children's names for all of my adult life... playing with them in my mouth... and now as I start to get closer to the reality of having a child I of course start thinking more seriously about it... My dad says I am being premature, but hey...these are the fun bits right? More fun than all the doctors and needles and syringes...

So I am tossing around some ideas... all feedback welcome - though of course ultimately its gotta feel right coming out of my mouth... and I will possibly throw all ideas out the window in the face of the real little person - they may come with their own name written all over them...

So for a boy...the current favourite is

Jackson Tomas Vichta

and a girl...

Sara Isabella Vichta
or
Saraya Bella Vichta
or
Sara Sophia Vichta




What do you think?

No comments: