Saturday, July 26, 2008

What is "Fun"?


"A source of amusement, enjoyment or pleasure; Enjoyment or amusement; Playful, often noisy, activity; enjoyable, amusing"

Recently I was asked "Are you a fun person?".... and I was taken aback! I stammered! ah...How does one answer that? I would have said "absolutely"... but I had to stop and think... where is the evidence?
A wee squiz through recent blog entries has revealed a strong theme of seriousness and introspection pervading my mind and heart. Ok, so its been a bloody rough few months... I've been through a pretty crappy pile of inner do-do in recent days. Actually, come to think of it... there have been moments of joy and excitement in the last 6-8 months, but apart from that its been a pretty rocky couple of years. Am I fun? Sheesh! Give a girl a chance to crawl out from under life's debris for a minute....

What the hell is "fun" anyway? Is it DOING fun stuff?... getting out and about, having adventures, exploring new horizons, being spontaneous and tossing oneself into the rich sauce of life's pudding? Is it BEING funny?..making jokes, silly voices, witty one-liners and amusing anecdotes? Is it bringing diversity and difference to a dinner table? Is it challenging thought and provoking stimulating ideas? Sheesh....

I suspect perhaps, whilst undoubtably a loveable, sensitive, loyal and caring person... I am perhaps not that fun?? Heavens to Betsy can it be true? Really?? That just doesn't sit right with my sense of my true nature... I sure feel like I "have fun" in life... does that count?

How to answer this question..It plagues me!
So I have started a survey. And to you my dear friends I put the question... give it to me straight (or gay, as the case may be...), squirt me with the grape juice of your reflective judgement, hit me with the good stuff baby...

I mean, if I'm gonna bring some burping, squirting, noisy, stinky blob into the world and turn it into a sparkling social genius - I gotta be able to teach it the really important things in life...

SO I ask you...
Am I fun?
What makes a person fun?

If you want some tips...

How to Be a Fun Person to Be Around


and

How to be More Fun / How to be Less Boring

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Figure I have known you for the better part of a decade now, so I have some authority when I state my opinion on your "fun" factor.

As i recall my memories of Rhiannon, there a definite moments of Fun-ness to be had. Lots of smiling moments, great warmth and care, and someone is richly in tune with their spirituality and the needs of others.

Fun, is in the eye of the beholder dear, and although it is not the first word that comes to mind when I think of you, it is not necessarily a bad thing. Because the first words that come to mind when I think of you, are the words that I strive for in myself… namely being: Loyal, caring, warm, intelligent, selfless and giving.

Tell me, would you want “fun” to substitute for any of those?

Wanderlust said...

thanks steph!
and thanks to all the dear ones who called and texted and emailed in response too... General consensus seems to be that whilst I have times of being "fun" and "funny" to hang out with - its other things about me that people value more - and I agree... its other things about me that I value more too...
so pish tish to "fun"... I'll have it when I want to and in the meantime I will go on being my gentle, genuine, caring, warm, loving self :-)
NAH NAH to "fun" hunters!!