Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Inspirational Words #99958470087

Am home sick... brain addled.... but gazing at these inspirational words that hang on the wall beside my spunky new "home office"... and in my usual spirit of sharing... this is what they say...

The Paradox of Our Age

We have bigger houses but smaller families
more convenience but less time
We have more degrees, but less sense
more knowledge but less judgement
more experts, but more problems
more medicines, but less healthiness
We've been all the way to the moon and back
but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbour
We built more computers to hold more information
to produce more copies than ever
but have less communication
We have become long on quantity
but short on quality
These are times of fast foods
but slow digestion
Tall men but short character
Steep profits but shallow relationships
It is a time when there is much in the window
but nothing in the room...

I can relate... as I find myself drawn back into western developed lifestyles. Today I found myself looking at ebay trying to think of something to buy. Gads! At least this week I donated to the education fund of a Nepalese boy who's father is going through alcohol rehab, and I bought a soccer ball and two whistles for an East Timorese youth awareness through sports program. A small attempt to karmically balance the purchase of my sexy black boots...

Someone who read my blog called me "terribly earnest"... I took it as a great compliment... I like to think a bit. I know I don't think deeply enough, read enough papers, watch world news often enough, learn enough or act on my beliefs enough... but at least I am earnest in moments... :-)

No comments: