Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day

Tomorrow is Mother's Day... And for the first time ever I'm not celebrating it in any way...my own mother is cruising the Greek islands....we figure she is celebrating enough without a token bunch of flowers from her tropic bound off spring. I'll be sending her my thoughts, but I'm not sure I could top a beachside seafood feast in a village in Crete even if I tried, and I am sure she will be indulging in yet another of those tomorrow.
And my own little four year old angel has turned feral this week... With impeccable timing she has launched another phase of boundary testing rebellion. I know it will, like all the others, pass and peace will be restored...but it's not a shining mummy week I have to say. Spending this morning sitting on the ground outside the fun factory (closed for private function) while she wails that I am not to touch her and refuses to stop pressing her face against the door to the forbidden land was not one of the mothering highlights of my short but mostly happy career in the role.
So I'm going to simply pretend Mother's Day doesn't apply to us this year. We will try again to visit the fun factory (ball pits, slides, trampolines...all the joys of life in one room) and I shall enjoy her smiles as my Mother's Day gift... Maybe I will eat a piece of cake.... And that shall be my day.
Happy Mother's Day to all my dear friends who will be celebrating this year, may your toddlers be angels of happy compliance, may your cups of tea not grow cool, and may you have uninterrupted toilet time :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

happy mothers day to you too....ahh the joy of motherhood...taking the good with the bad....or just taking the bad and shoving it!! xxxx