Tuesday, December 28, 2010

christmas spread at the small but happy home

This year was a quiet xmas for the angel and her wee family.  As an only child of an only child of an only child... the angel has little hope of a large rambunctious family xmas unless she marries into one. (metaphorically speaking... if I can't marry why should she?)  But it was a happy little family of four who gathered for some tasty treats on the wet but merry day. 
The day started bright and early.  The night before I had made a slight tactical error.  In the excitment of wanting to introduce her to the wonderful anticipation of christmas eve... just before bed I sat with the little angel in front of the tree and optimistically explained that under the tree were lots of presents for her, and tomorrow was christmas and she would be able to open them in the morning and see what was inside.  Predictably delayed gratification was a slightly advanced expectation for a 20 month old... and we had to have some firm words about around the theme of "NOT NOW"...
In the morning I had scaled back my expectations and had thought she would have forgotten the previous night's conversation.  At 5.30am I staggered out to make a cup of tea... her little sleepy self trailing behind me... and I was just reaching for the kettle when her footsteps rounded the corner into the living area and I was assailed by a very merry "PREEEESEEEENNNNTTSS!!!!".
And that was that really... it was all on.  Before ga ga and pa pa could emerge blinking into the light of the day she was already very happily choo choo choo-ing her new train set. 

No comments: