Wednesday, May 26, 2010

procrastination tips

So I logged in to the website of my university to submit a request for extension on my final assignment... the house of sickness is not a conducive work space at the moment, sadly...
And I discovered, in my fevered flipping through pages looking for the elusive link to the multi-page contact, conditions, documentation and rational paper that must be completed for said 1 week extension (it takes longer to do the application than it would to do the assignment) that the university newsletter features an article on how to overcome procrastination...
Ah!  This should be good for a read!  If nothing else its another great way to procrastinate actually doing any work!  Ah what gems of wisdom it contained...
Such pearls as
Consider “What would I say to a friend if they were in my shoes?”  - well thats easy... I'd say "Get the hell out of my new red knee high boots"... (I love them!) and take my boots out for coffee to console them...
And then there is the case scenario of talking yourself into study instead of going to bed...

You might like to challenge favourite excuses... For example,
“The truth is I’m tired"”.
“My old unhelpful conclusion is that I’m better off doing my assignment later”.
“I can dispute this. I am tired but if I delay this assignment it will worry me all night
and I probably won’t sleep well”.
My new helpful conclusion is that I’ll make a start tonight, just for ten minutes. I’ll
be relieved and probably sleep better.”


In my case I am at his point usually already asleep with my desk carving a lovely new tattoo style scar in my forehead and my drool sticking the O and I together on my keyboard... (I entirely blame my poor spelling on this!).
Sod it - I am going to bed.
Night!

No comments: