Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Let them eat dirt!

Recently I had the opportunity to make good on one of my life long parenting philosophies... many have gone by the way-side in the foggy reality of surviving day to day as a working, studying solo-mum.... (not single, but solo parenting...) My resolution to give her no sugar until she was two lasted mere days from when she started on solids...actually... if I am honest, I think jam was the very first thing she tasted... booooo.  And my resolution to not let her watch TV? hmmmmmm lets not even talk about that one!  (TV? If you are listening... I love you! you have nothing to fear!) ... And the list goes on... May my McDonalds boycott last, if nothing else does!
But one of the things I have always said was that kids should eat dirt.  I am a firm believer in building the immune system - I survived the wilds of the third world with only a few life-threatening mishaps... and have a tummy of iron to show for it (perhaps that explains why it weighs so much on the scales!).  I don't believe in sanitising, disinfecting, protecting from natural germs... the unnatural man-made ones yes...but good old fashioned dirt should be on any healthy kid's menu I say...
And so it was with glee that I overcame my instinctive mummy caution bells, and sat and giggled at my baby as she explored the rich gooey gritty yumminess of our vegie garden... organic of course! (I did refuse the kind offer to share!)



No comments: