Sunday, November 16, 2008

what is family?


So I have been thinking for a while about the future of society's relationships... you know, as one does... :-)
They say "as an Aquarian thinks so the world will think in 50 years"... and I have a sense that they world is starting to think differently about relationships.
I have a view of the future that is outside of our past boxes. I sense a movement away from traditional dynamics, routines and patterns... and towards people creating "families" and "relationships" in forms that suit them and their situations. I know that this is not a new idea - its been happening all around us for many years... but recently the awareness has been become more acute to me.
As people become more mobile, love is no longer a picket fence dream. As people become more open to options, love is no longer a traditional "marriage". People are creating odd shaped, bumpy, lumpy, stretched and ultimately workable family units that look vastly different to the mom/pop 2.5 kids jelly mould of former days. Christmases are spent with step parents, half siblings, adopted cousins and same sex aunties. Births are celebrated with surrogate families of all shapes and colours. People are opening the paint jars of "traditional relationships" and freeing themselves to mix a whole new palette.
Its exciting! Despite some moments of frustration, eg the recent reversal of californian marriage laws, I do think that our social rules are evolving. I think of my dear friends... one who is in love with a partner in another country...and ok with that...one who happily celebrated her second anniversary of non-cohabiting domestic bliss... and I rejoice in the throwing out of the old rule books. I think people have historically made their own paths quietly and flown under the radar...but what was once radical eventually becomes mainstream. Recently a friend told me she was getting married...and my honest response (after congratulations of course) was "why?" She wasn't really sure... but it seemed like a nice thing to do... traditional rules are now choices.
I am so happy to think that people will become happier and more accepting of themselves and others as they loosen up to the idea of creativity in making love work for them in their own way. I am so happy to think that I too might find my own way of loving and being a part of a family that works, without having to question whether it is "proper" or "the way things should be done".
So on I stride on my path...

No comments: