Monday, November 3, 2008

Today my dear friend posted a blog about being goal driven and thriving on the competition of life... seeking to get the most out of life rather than "slowing down to enjoy the moment..."
And I responded... and it made me think...
Here is my response...

In my humble view... in seeking balance one does not need to slow down and do less, one needs to make careful choices about which goals take priority at which points in time. (I'm sure you agree...) Balance and well-being are, I think, NOT about doing LESS to make space to enjoy the moment (doing less does not necessarily lead to enjoyment, rather boredom and laziness)... but it is, I think, about being consciously aware of the choices one makes in each moment, being mentally fully present, and checking that they are the choices that are most likely to bring long term happiness...rather than simply being busy being busy.... if that makes sense... Being driven is fabulous if you are deeply sure that you know and like where you are going...and I think it is this that leads some people astray... Not you of course :-)...

And a few thoughts came to mind...
One is that so many of our successes in life are measured by external achievements... Where as I think that my own goals in life are much more internal than some others. My most important goals include such things as :
- "overcoming the impulse to react in anger when people do things I don't agree with...."
- "being able to be fully conscious of owning my own contribution to relationships and communication so that I am more in control of how I affect other people"....
- "being able to take a position of kindness as a default, rather than reacting with small mindedness and self concern..."
- "being able to consistently put myself in other people's shoes and understand their perspectives..."
and many more... (including saving the world of course)
However one of my goals clashes slightly...
- I strive to be worthy of respect from others....
and this is very important to me. It saddens me therefore that broader society conditions people so strongly to value goals and success by external, visible, measures. Yesterday I read a column in the paper by a woman bemoaning the reality that, despite feeling wonderfully successful in her professional and personal life, the one thing she received constant accolades for, from everyone she knew, was the enzyme disorder produced loss of 10kg. Everywhere she went people clapped her on the back and praised her richly for becoming a size 8. Its a sad state of affairs.... And I reflect back on the resentment that simmered quietly inside during the years that I dated a body builder. Everywhere we went her muscles and competition performances were the toast of the party... yet the ground breaking program I wrote for recovering addicts - yes, it barely raised a social eyebrow... My simple goals of being a good person, helping the vulnerable in society... they take just as much commitment, hours of hard work, diligence and determination, self sacrifice etc etc...yet they are relatively inconsequential on the social success scales. If I chose to instead put my energy instead into making money and having a socially desireable body... why, the admiration would flow! I would represent that most respected of people, the thin and rich.
So it seems to me that I could be the next Mother Theresa - but if I am overweight and poor... who's gonna admire me? A few "bleeding hearts".... those that took the time to notice...in between the long hours of working on their own unrecognised, unapplauded goals...
Ah its a tough world to save...
I guess I just need to be very selective about who's opinions and respect I take notice of....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spot on and your one of your most insightful posts - I enjoyed reading it. The comment about the mistake certain people make of simply being busy being busy really resonated.