Monday, September 8, 2008

Life themes....

So today I am struck by the way that people theme their lives...
I have just been watching a presentation by the creator of Postsecrets (http://postsecret.blogspot.com/). I love postsecrets - every sunday they upload a new selection of people' s secrets sent in on a handmade postcard... little windows into people's lives...
But to return to the point... (I blame the progesterone...) Frank finished his presentation by saying "free your secrets... and become who you are" and I was struck by the audience's elated response, which made me wonder about how many people theme their lives around a secret that they hold locked inside... and it shapes their lives and the way they view themselves in their world. And then I kept thinking about life themes... different life themes, not just secrets. For myself I have two themes that I am consciously aware of. 1. I must make the world a better place and 2. I must have a child (maybe I can do 1 by doing 2?)... and I think about some of my friends and their themes... "I must work hard to get the best security I can for myself and my family because there is no-one else I can rely on"...."I must understand myself at all costs and continue to learn as much as I can about myself".... "I must love and be loved"....
And just as we cannot know if two of us see "red" in the same way... people understand the world according to their themes, seeing things differently, screening the bits that don't fit, absorbing and chewing on the bits that do...
Its not new, its not profound, its just a thought of the moment....
What's your theme?

1 comment:

Globalgirl said...

I love this - it's so true. Our themes are filters through which we see and colour everything. Maybe not new but def thought provoking. Yay you!