Sunday, January 10, 2010

the 5 million dollar question

Recently my friend answered the question "how would your life change if you had 5 million dollars?".  She answered that it would not.  I envy this.  I envy the sense that your life is just as you intentionally made it.  I envy the sense that you have deliberately created your life to be just so... and you would not want to change it.  I know that there are things that she would change about her life - but they are not things that money can buy.  But still - I aspire to the sense of rightness of life that is implied by the answer "I would not significantly change my life if I had access to enough money to have free choice".  I, on the other hand, would have to think deeply about the answer.  I feel quite sure that my life would change significantly - that I would choose to change my life in many ways.  What would financial security mean to me?  It would give me the lee-way to indulge my humanitarian utopian vision... so many things I tell myself that I would do if I had the money.... I would give more to charity, I would start my own charity, I would start a benevolent trust, I would learn more about financial management and make the money keep growing so that I could live off the income it generates, I would travel more, I would be generous with others and change their lives too etc etc... and then I pause in my fantasising... and I ask myself - how much would it take to do these things?  And more importantly - how much do I have now...and what stops me from doing these things now?  Sure enough there are some things that do take hard cold cash, but there are many others that cost little, but give much.  Compared to many people I am currently exceedingly wealthy....why am I not now living the life I imagine I might live if I won $5 million?  And so after I am more organised in my home... my next task focus will be exploring the question "How can I live now AS THOUGH I have won a huge financial prize?"  What can I do today?

No comments: