Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Disappointment

So life is pretty good over-all... I am realising my dearest dreams... but at the same time I have a sense of fear of losing the other important things in my life... in particular, my career. I have worked hard for little recognition over the years... In the past I have not worried terribly about it, it always seemed like I had time to find my professional niche in the future. In the last year or so I have realised that actually... Its now or never. If I am going to find a sense of acknowledgement of the strong skills I have then I really need to start positioning myself now. This is important not just because I will get respect and reward, but because it will put me in a position of being able to work for change much more effectively.
Accordingly I went to work for Red Cross at a position lower than I should have... so that I could get a foot in the door with an organisation I respected and thought would be good for my CV and career development. My plan was to find my feet and then move into a more challenging role within the organisation. And in some ways this has appeared to be a good decision...there are more challenging positions within the organisation. Getting a chance at those positions however, has led to frustration and disappointment.
As an Aquarian I know that I have a rather well developed sense of fairness. Injustice and impropriety bug the hell out of me. People not following "proper" "fair" "equitable" processes really gets my goat up....
As a realist I come to terms, more and more, with the fact that life is just not fair sometimes, and the world just does people over. Its not just me... it happens everywhere... so I guess rather than focusing on disappointment when it happens, the only thing to do is to be happily surprised when it things are done well.
I am still astounded that many people who get paid lots of money to be professionally intelligent still so often manage to do such an poor job of it....

No comments: