Monday, March 10, 2008

Getting Old...Being Old...

So when did it happen? In my sleep? while I was busy working? sometime when I didn't have time to notice?
Somewhere along the course of my life - I became old....
Last night twinkle eyes and I took her 13.5 year old niece to the Kelly Clarkson concert... and once again I realised....I am just not "cool"... I mean, who knew "Timberland" was not the same as "Justin Timberlake"??... Whats with that? And when a song like "You rock me all night long" comes on in the interval, well... one just has to sing along really.... (although perhaps letting my hair out and flipping it around wildly was a wee bit much...).
Actually, if I am really honest with you, my nearest and dearest ones... I was actually never cool ... never quite had my finger on the sub-cultural pulse even as a sprightly young thing (let the record show I stayed awake last night longer than said 13.5 year old!)
And actually... the over-riding sensation of realising that I am old and certainly "uncool" is that, rather than grieving for my lost youth...I feel a fabulously liberating sense of relief! No longer do I have to feel inadequate for my lack of funk quotent! No longer do I have to monitor my words and deeds and fashion sense and feel the constant sense of having failed to make the cut in some invisible indefinable way...
Yay! I have finally reached the age when I can revel in embarrassing the unfortunate youth of my acquaintance... those who cannot get away from my company must endure, with the flimsy weapons of eye rolling and pouting... my evil glee as I sing badly to songs they have never heard of.... wear clothes that cover that stubborn tummy fat roll.... stride happily in comfortable shoes... and not even try to care if Britney Spears's hair has grown back yet....
HA HA HA HA HA ... my time has come!!!
"YEAH YOU....ROCK ME ALL NIGHT LONG..... "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully we'll be sitting on some uncool park bench knitting cardigans for our grandkids one day :)

Unknown said...

Timbaland???