Monday, April 29, 2013

I am you, I am not you...

Ive been watching the final series of Being Erica.  Tonight i watched the second last show of the last series made....I will miss it when it is over...every episode delivers a life message...a new perspective, a reminder of known but buried truths, a confirmation of lived truths...
Tonight's Being Erica life lesson...
I am you, and I am not you...
It is a double edged coin of awareness that allows us to both find ourselves in another person in order to have compassion for their experiences, their common struggles, their similar vulnerabilities...and yet to also be mindful that they are fundamentally different people.
Too often we fall into the trap of expecting others to be like us. We expect others to make similar choices, value similar things, treat us they way that we would treat them...and when they don't we are offended, hurt, angry, disappointed, judgemental....and whether we shout in fury or smoulder in silent resentment ...they know... They feel it... They "get" that we wanted them to be more like us.  And no-one reponds well to being asked to be less themselves...and nor should they.
So the key? Get rid of the expectation. Live the truth of acceptance of difference, and pardoxically it will be even easier to find the common ground.
I am guilty of this, like most...
I will take this lesson on board in my continual process of being the best me I can be...

No comments: