Sunday, July 1, 2012

inspiring women

So on Friday night I had my first dinner party in Fiji this time... impromptu, it was supposed to be a work meeting with a woman who is doing some consultancy work relevant to our work.  What it became was an awe-inspiring, challenging and exciting meal with three incredible women and a rich flow of conversation and inspiration.  My guests were three women who all work for different clusters within the UN... women who have worked all over the world on gender related projects - violence against women and children programs.  I served food and received a sense of perspective, a sense of where I might be heading.  I cannot imagine being someone who spends three years in Libya recording women's war abuse stories, but I can imagine being a consultant and working on bigger picture projects.  I want to stay connected to the real roots of the community and to what makes a real difference, but I want my career to move towards working on a national and international scale.  What I need to do is to focus on finding my niche area - my passion focus... I am thinking that perhaps my heart lies in child protection work and I am going to start making moves towards this.  I say "I think" because there are many other areas that move my passions as well, but I think that it is time that I chose one.  Child protection feels like something more tangible than "gender" and more achievable than "mental health reform".  Child safety is personal to me, and something I have had a lot of experience in.  It cuts across all sectors, and all sections of the welfare sector.
So this is exciting!  A sense of direction!
:-)
Rhianon

No comments: