Sunday, July 22, 2012

the mirage of facebook

So I am feeling more and more disconnected from the people I have loved...from the friends I have left behind.  I was pondering why this is, why I feel like I have dropped out of my old life and the space I used to occupy has closed around me... and I realised that one of the reasons is facebook.  I am on facebook daily.  It gives me a sense of connectedness to people I know, of being in touch with what is going on in their lives and in the world around me.  But it is becoming clearer and clearer that it is an illusory intimacy...a fake closeness that leaves emptiness in its wake.  Its like eating junk food when you are hungry, it fills you in the moment but leaves you unsatisfied.  I realise I have 25 words or less snippets of people's lives, and I give them little fleeting snapshots of mine - but its not real closeness, its not actual communication.
So I am deciding to refocus on email and skype and texts - real person to person communication, real in the moment conversations.  While I know it is important for me to be in the moment where I am, I don't want to be too estranged from the people I care about in my life.  I miss my friends, I miss my people, I miss connectedness.
Friends - if you are reading this - I miss you... lets talk...

No comments: