Thursday, October 16, 2008

jig saw journeys


So we sat before the puzzle and it puzzled us...
We looked at all the pretty pieces with their lovely colours, and we knew that there was something beautiful in there... so we tried to fit them together... and we poked and we prodded... and at times it made us frustrated, and at times we stomped our feet and threw the pieces down... and at times we found little bits that fitted and we laughed with joy... and at times we grew sad when we couldn't find the picture they promised...
And then one day we quietly realised, each of us in our own way, that we were working on one table with two different jig saw sets.... each had our own gorgeous colours and shapes, but they made different pictures... trying to fit them into one was simply human error, not the fault of the jig saw puzzles themselves.
So we sat back and thought for a moment... and we stepped back from the table and looked at each other... and we held hands as we shared this knowledge. A tear or two fell as we both took one deep breath and let go. Finally we realised that our paths are connected but not one. Finally we let go of trying to make our pieces squish into one picture of the future. Finally we let go of the battle for control over the pieces and decided to focus on the bits that do fit.
And this time the sun shone brighter than ever, and the flowers continued to blossom brightly... and the individual pathways opened with bright possibility.
And we held each others hands in loving friendship... and we smiled.

So from the deepest and most honest and true parts of my heart I give my thanks to my Twinkle Blue Eyes... I thank her for teaching me to love my own pathway...to seek my own bright and happy jig saw puzzle picture... to each day rejoice in my own difference and my own strengths. And I thank her for teaching me deep respect and affection for her difference and her strengths.
And my heart fills with joyous excitement at a future of strong loving friendship, free of the pressure to fit our differences together. And I see happiness mirrored in her eyes, and I am happy.

And I set off down my pathway, skipping with the thrilling anticipation of what adventures will come next!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My god, you sound so ridiculously like an adult. I don't think I could ever be so pragmatic and... ahem, insightful. A shame it was not to be my dear, but yours is such a wonderful journey in any case, with or without a special, colourful hand to hold.

Globalgirl said...

And it is thrilling gorgeous one because the adventures ahead are filled with such excitement and represent the beauty and honesty of that very individual path of yours.

Such courage though from both of you to let go with love and peace - it takes great compassion, wisdom and strength to make these choices sometimes.. even when they leave you both skipping down sun filled paths! Here's to you both and knowing you have friends beside you to share in your adventures :-) xx