Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ah my spunky little alien frog....



Yay!
So I went for the big 12 week scan.... at 13 weeks, but never mind... Its the one where they test for downs syndrome and other abnormalities... and NOW the do the spunky 3-d imaging too I discovered! (Ain't technology incredible!)
I have to admit that I was anxious before it. I wasn't really thinking much about the risk of abnormalities...I just wanted to hear the heart beat... After two and a half weeks of bleeding I was really looking forward to that bompa bompa bompa that would tell me that little olive was still popping along happily.
And YAY... the first moment that Associate Professor forgot-his-name-coz-nothing-else-mattered-other-than-my-baby touched the wand to my belly...there it was...bompa bompa bompa... and woop - there was my smile!! My lovely friend Katie who came with me was just as excited! Bompa Bompa Bompa! Its quite a sound!
And then the magic of technology showed my gorgeous wee froggie leaping and twisting and waving her arms and legs in gay abandon... "could you ask your child to sit still for a moment??" said Assoc Prof Baby Man... as he struggled to get a still shot... But the wee one seems to be fabulously excited with her own flexibility and energy... she's a future acrobat in the making! Finally we managed to get some semi clear images.... aren't they funky???

AND the good news is that ... In the words of both Assoc Prof and my own doctor... my test results were "very very very very very good"... it seems my bubba has less risk of downs syndrome than if I were a 15 year old! For my age my risk would have been 1:190... but after the measurements and bloodtests my risk has dropped to one of the lowest levels.... 1:2793... Yay!
So she is wonderfully active, perfectly average on every measurement, and fabulously healthy!
But WAIT...
There is more!
Did I want to know the sex? Mr Assoc Prof Good Stuff asks me as I beam blissfully at the plasma images... "OOOOHHH YES PLEASE!" (does a bear crap in the woods???)
Weeeeelll... he says.... see this bit here? "Mmhmmmm" I say (mental fingers crossed furiously as I see nothing but a white smudge on the screen).... well...don't go painting the nursery just yet, he pauses... but I would be around 80% sure its a girl.... YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... I woop.
:-)
:-)
Trying not to get too excited (obviously) as it really was a bit early to tell for sure...
But YAY!
SO...
All is wonderful
All is joy
I am HUGE (I now officially look like a big pregnant woman...people keep asking me if I am having twins, but the 4 ultrasounds can't lie)
but I am exceedingly HAPPY...
Hope everyone catches a wee splash of the positive vibes I am sending out....
:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we have a picture of prenant you?