Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yes Boss...

So it may not come as a surprise to some in my life, but I have realised that I may have a little issue with authority figures... I have been noticing that when ever I am deeply unhappy in a job the reason is almost always a "bad" boss.  In this case I AM the boss... so its my board that have the power to render me almost blind with rage and frustration.  I have been trying to work out where this might be coming from... what is it in me that reacts so vehemently to someone telling me what to do - if I don't agree with them.  I have great respect for bosses who simply let me do my own thing most of the time and provide gentle guidance and support when required.  What really gets my goat though is bosses who I don't agree with but have to follow anyway... it eats me inside.... I lay awake at night, and ruminate on it constantly... its a deep frustration and a silent rage that renders me almost irrational.  Is this a childhood issue that is unresolved?  Is this an arrogance and pride in me that thinks I know better?  Is this my natural and common fury at perceived injustice?  Am I just a bad loser?
It seems that the universe is determined that I confront this issue.  I've had a few really great bosses, but I have had quite a share of ones that have prematurely aged me.  The other time I recall being really frustrated was running a struggling business in which I was the boss - and I wasn't a great one.  So I was mad at myself as well as the situation.  So here I am again - in a really hard job but one that I do actually enjoy, despite the workload... and the thing that is making me walk on the day that my contract ends is a bad boss/board.  Now I know that they are actually independently shit - many people who have no reason to lie to me have indicated that I really do have the bad end of the stick with this one.  And sadly the way that our constitution was written means that they can't be sacked, they can't be brought into line and they can't be controlled except by their own members.  So I am rendered almost powerless and it is eating me up from the inside out.  So... this is my challenge... I will find a way to overcome how badly this affects me.  I will find a way to keep calm.  I will find a way to see this as an opportunity for me to learn about my own issues with authority.
I will turn this around and use it for good instead of evil.
Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go get them girl!