Thursday, August 25, 2011

I just wanna be great...

So I just wanna be great at something...
Is it too much to ask?
I have been searching, for all of my adult life and for a fairly large proportion of my teenage life, for the thing that I can be great at. 
I always thought I would do something that would make the world a better place and yet here I am... turning 40... running statistical reports and dreaming of being great at something.
I guess I should stop dreaming and just be great at this report. 
Sigh.
At some point I may need to stop dreaming about saving the world and just make the best of it because I may never find the something that I am great at.
Not that I am not good at things... I am good at lots of things... just not great.
What do you think?... do I keep searching?  or be just be great at being "good" at a bunch of stuff...?

4 comments:

Tinker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think the question is what do you want to be great at? Find the goal, and then work out the steps you need to take to do it. Otherwise you could continue to wander aimlessly for the next 40 years, hoping that you stumble across it.

Silver said...

Actually - I think you need to ask yourself a couple of other things..first, how do you define "great" by your recognition of it or someone else's? what are the criteria for great? Second, why do you want to be that definitive version of great? for your own satisfaction, or for fame -so that others can say - oh yeah she is/was great? If you think of some who achieve greatness - sure they set goals and work towards them - but most would not necessarily define themselves or their own acts as great. There is some other satisfaction or purpose driving their greatness. Greatness is a byproduct of something else....maybe?

Wanderlust said...

ah yes that is exactly the issue... I have never found the thing that I can focus on being great at!
And yes... good points Silver... in whose eyes is great defined? I think my reasons are more about a sense of satisfaction - like I have used my potential well to make the world a slightly better place - than about impressing others... I think! But I agree... those who are great are often great as a biproduct of just doing the thing that they are passionate about... and that is the thing I haven't ever found!
sigh... finding a passion is much harder than findng a goal!