Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another Win for Mummy!

Mummy had a win....
I have been working, since she was born, to break the little angel's wilful spirit... Mummy is BOSS - thats B for Bubble, O for Octopus, S for Swing and S for Sleep!
Recently I have had the dawn banshee to contend with, and she almost got the better of me.... But never fear dear readers.... in the end.... Mummy won :-)
My angel was waking up at 4:30 every morning... I am sure you can imagine how thrilling this is... I have never been a morning person, and frankly, I never want to be someone who functions at 4:30am - that must be some kind of sickness....
So I was engaged in the battlefield of staggering back and forth to her room to try to persuade her to go back to sleep.  My rule is that we don't get up until 5:30 at the earliest.... I mean really, have some decency child!  So there I went, stagger, groan, plead, stagger.... as the day slowly lightened and I listened to my internal voice wine pittifully about having to go to work in a few hours.... So then, in the past, when 5:30 finally rolled around I would stomp into her room and get her up and out of bed.  At this point she would beam at me beautifully and I would feel like the evil witch of the east growling weakly at her...This was our pattern for more days than I could bear...
And then I realised.... I realised that of course what she thought was happening was that she was yelling until I cracked!  She had learned, thanks to my brain dead attempts to maintain sanity and the rules, that I would eventually give in! She had no idea that the clock had ticked its painful way around to the appointed hour of permission... duh!
So I thought I was winning because she stayed in bed til 5:30 - but she thought she was winning by wearing me down! Nooooooooooo the baby MUST. NOT. WIN!
So when that clicked I bit the bullet the next morning and when I was gently awaken by the melodious screech of my dear heart angel.... I marched in to that room and told her, in no uncertain terms, that mummy was no longer a fool, and she was not getting up til she went back to sleep...
Consequently she screamed the house down from 4:30-5:45.... and then went back to sleep til 6:20! Woopee... and that was our last big screaming episode... since then she has woken up at 5:30 each morning... and today when she did wake up at 4:30, I went in and told her to go back to sleep...and she complained for about 3 mins and then slept til 6:30 :-)
Ah the wins! the wins!  Waaa haaa haaa haaaa :-)