Friday, February 6, 2009

and the universe provides just what we need...

So since I have been pregnant I have had the novel experience of being able to eat what ever I want and not put on weight - well, I have put on weight of course... only in the belly and boobs, and I am still at the bottom end of the expected weight gain range... so really, Indi/Aliya/Sara (whatever her name is) seems to be sucking it all up... so as one might expect - the temptation to pig out has been great... and largely given in to :-) I have been enjoying the delights of chocolate milkshakes, cakes, chocolate, what ever takes my fancy really! What fun!
BUT... over the last couple of months I have started to feel a wee but under the weather with it all, and somewhat nervous that if I didn't smarten up my diet soon I would keep eating like that after the birth... and stay looking like a beach ball! I kept telling myself that "soon" I would tighten up and get super healthy again... and I did start having lots of nutritious juices and eating a bit better... some of the time...
And then... as the universe in its wisdom saw me struggling to be self disciplined... it provided me with some super motivation - gestational diabetes ....
SO... its sugar free, low fat, low GI small regular meals for me! I was somewhat distressed and overwhelmed at first - but now I am really seeing the upside. Besides the less than joyful experience of having to stick a needle in my finger two hours after every meal, I am enjoying getting a sense of control and awareness of listening to my body and what it needs...and seeing the immediate results in my glucose levels. I am enjoying the sense of well being that is coming from knowing that I am doing good things for myself, my body and my baby... and that now I have no excuse not to prioritise my health in the general chaos of my busy life. And if I am going to prevent myself from getting Type 2 diabetes later in life...(up to 50% chance) this will need to be a pretty perminent lifestyle change. I have always eaten pretty healthily - but now I am armed with extra knowledge and incentive.
Thanks Universe - I didn't appreciate the gift at first - but now I get it!

No comments: