Saturday, June 22, 2013

Embrace the imperfect

So recently I watched a TED talk by an artist who had embraced his physical limitation, a shaky hand, and created his own far more interesting, inspiring and personal style of expression.  Rather than being held back, or give up, he was able to use his nerve damage to free himself from the restriction of creating perfect images.  In doing this he found that he was free to explore much more profound themes of impermanence and play with the very concept of limitation in a unique and meaningful way.

And it got me to thinking... How much energy is spent in my life avoiding, fighting or overcoming my own limitations, my "issues", my imperfections.... And what would change if I was able to embrace them and make them work for me, instead of holding me back.  More than just finding ways to live with them, how can I make them into advantages instead of hindrances?

I don't have any answers yet, but I am enjoying the question....

No comments: