Sunday, April 29, 2012

good bye princess

So I have finally accepted that my daughter is no princess.  Not that I wanted her to be!  But somehow I guess, as a product of social conditioning, I kind of expected it... I dressed her in pink and gave her pretty things - assuming that she would like that. 
It is with a fair degree of pride and well, if I am honest just a little disappointment, that I realise she is much fonder of motorbikes than dolls... she loves trucks, cars, airplanes and helicopters... She has a lot of pink stuff that I have chosen for her - but when left to her own devices she chose the brown sponge bob square pants floaties over the pink princess versions. 
One look at the glee on her face at riding a "real" motorbike and I know I need to start preparing for sleepless nights when she turns 17  (at least I am getting good practice already!).  And the deal was sealed when I doggedly gave her a pretty pink necklace and bracelet for her birthday.  Her response when she opened it?  "I don't like THAT... where is my truck?".
At least she is really creative - we can channel ourselves into gluing and painting and drawing and work on avoiding death-traps on two wheels for a little while yet.


No comments: