Sunday, March 25, 2012

dark days indeed

So today the christian right wing achieved political power in my home state. I feel so incredibly sick and sad as I watch the progressive world I thought I lived in be over taken by forces of hate masquerading as religion.  I thought that as we evolved as a culture we would develop into a more aware, more accepting, less judgemental, more kind species.   I thought it was there was a law of inexorable growth of wisdom.  But I was wrong.  I look around the world and I see humanity going backwards at a rate of knots.  I see hard won freedoms being taken away, I see acceptance withdrawn, I see people embracing hate and turning away from equality.  It distresses me greatly, makes me feel powerless, makes me want to search for a pocket where I can be protected and yet it also makes me want to fight. 
The worst part is that it is making me so angry - and I don't want to become like them... I don't want to be infected by hate... and yet to sit here and take it - to be told that I am an abomination, that my beautiful child is an abomination, abused by me for being created by me - it makes me sick in my stomach and I want to scream and shout at them... but I won't let them make me like them... I won't allow their hate to infect me - that is the only control I can hold on to in these dark days indeed.
In the country I live in at the moment people keep inviting me to come to their churches.  I politely decline... "Its not for me" I politely respond.  What I want to say it something more along the lines of :
"No, I will not come to your church.  I will not sit in a room and smile and play nice with people who believe that I am an abomination - people who would self-righteously condemn my beautiful child to eternity in hell for the perceived sins of her mother.  I will not sit with people who believe that my act of creating that perfect miracle child was an act of abuse of she who I love and protect with my life.  I will not put myself in a room with people who worship a book which is filled with hatred and judgement and down-right weird-ass-shit.  I will not accept that you can disregard the parts of that book which you find inconvenient as you cut your hair, eat your prawns and do your gardening on a Sunday afternoon, but that you will hold onto a line which condemns my family and I to a life of being treated as though we are less than human.  I will not accept the lies you tell when you say that God loves all his children, when you say you live by his words, but you add your own subtext (except the gay ones).  
When your church stands up for not just the equal rights of all, but the equal value of all in the world - regardless of gender, age, race, sexuality, ability or any other defining factor other than the goodness of their hearts and the kindness of their actions, then I would consider coming to one of your services.  When your church respects me I may learn to respect it.  You let me know when that happens and invite me then.  Until then I would like you to look me in the face and tell me that I am evil, that your church is right and I am wrong... you tell me to my face that I am going to burn in the fires of hell for eternity for practicing love, compassion, openness and acceptance of everyone - including my lover.  Look me in the face and tell me I should embrace a church which practices hate, perpetuates fear and promotes judgementalism.  Look me in the face and tell me I am wrong"
Thats what I want to say....

No comments: