Sunday, September 5, 2010

of giving and receiving...

So I was pondering...
Generosity - what does it really mean?  Or rather... In order to be generous do we have to give without hope or expectation of receiving?  Perhaps there are different layers of generosity - there is that which gives selflessly with no thought or desire for return or reciprocation... There is that which gives openly and with willingness to self sacrifice, however does expect something in balance - a sort of "I'll scratch your itch because I trust that when I need you to, you will scratch mine back"... and then perhaps there is that which says I will give to you, but on my terms and in the ways that suit me.
Which is the better?  Clearly the first is the more noble... yet it is exceedingly rare and somewhat hard to practice in daily life... and there is the slight downside that people may not trust you and think you are mad, or you end up broke and burnt out.  The second seems the most practical - but is it really generosity? 
These are the thoughts that I ponder... but now I hear my child wake and I am off to practice the first sort - except its not really... because I get soooo much back from her.... its not selfless at all!

No comments: