Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Guardian Angel?

So tonight I went to water my vegie garden.... it was dark outside, but it was the first chance I had had after the frenetic pace of the day.  I had finally settled the angel to sleep, so off I trotted to check off the next thing on my To Do list, keeping the lettuces alive.  On the way downstairs it struck me suddenly - what would happen if I was bitten by a snake while watering the garden?? I often think about what would happen if I was hurt while here alone with the angel... would anyone hear me yelling?  What if I was unconscious?  Would anyone hear her yelling?  And so I was watching my step very carefully on the way to the garden, and while watering... the fear of a snake kept my heart pumping a little faster, although the voice of reason in my head told me to stop being so melodramatic.... I was nervous, watching each shadow, listening for movements... and after the minimum of refreshment for the poor wilted seedlings, I happily turned my nose back to the house.  To get back to my house from the garden I have to negotiate two sets of steep steps.... Normally I put one hand on the top step to steady myself as I navigate them... And as I put my hand out towards the top of the second set of stairs.... there it was...rapidly my mind ran through the options...Stick? no  Grass? no Shadow? no.... a slim head and beady eyes raised themselves off the step and .....HOLY CRAP!!!!  A rather large snake draped across the stairs in the shadows, just its head in the dim light of the top step....
As you can imagine... I have lost several years of my life, grown several new grey hairs, erupted with a few choice words...and discovered that I can jump from one terraced level of my garden up to the next without the aid of steps!!
What made me so focussed on the fear of a snake tonight?  Did I know?  Did I sense the risk? Certainly if I had not been thinking so intently about snakes in the dark I would most likely have put my hand right on it.  I don't generally expect a snake on my back steps.  What ever the cause, or co-incidence... I am very grateful!

1 comment:

Silver said...

OMG! Amazing! I am v thankful to your GA as well! x